Preparation Tips for Chemistry in JEE Main Exam 2021
The section of Chemistry in JEE Main is that section where aspirants can easily score more and the subject must neither be taken lightly nor its chapters be ignored. This article will guide you with proper preparation tips for Chemistry in JEE Main 2021.
By Topperlearning Expert 05th Dec, 2019 | 04:55 pmShare
All along JEE history, it has been observed that questions are comparatively easier for the IIT JEE Chemistry exam than for Mathematics and Physics. Answering questions of Chemistry in the JEE Main paper using the IIT JEE Main Chemistry syllabus is also less time-consuming. However, Chemistry is a subject which cannot be taken lightly during JEE Main 2021 preparation. Learn how to navigate through the vast Chemistry syllabus of Class 12 Science for JEE Main in this article.
To begin, Chemistry subject is divided into 3 parts:
The pie chart below shows the weightage of questions according to an analysis of the papers from the last 5 years.
Fig (1): JEE Mains Chemistry Weightage of Previous Year Papers (2014-2019)
You can see there is not much difference in the number of questions from the three components of Chemistry, although questions from Inorganic Chemistry for JEE have been fewer than Physical and Organic Chemistry.
Let’s now understand how to tackle the Chemistry section of JEE Main.
Preparation of Physical Chemistry for IIT JEE would involve a lot of practice of numerical questions, conversion and revision of concepts. Here are a few tips which will help you to go through them Physical Chemistry for IIT JEE.
- Don’t rush into numerical questions without understanding concepts: Most of the students make this mistake while studying Physical Chemistry for IIT JEE. Remembering all the important formulae is a must for solving numerical questions, but remembering formulae without understanding derivation and concepts can lead to mistakes in the tricky questions.
- Expertise in basic units: The IIT JEE Chemistry exam can get tricky with units in numerical questions. So, if you don’t have a good command over units and basic concepts of conversions, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
- Speed with accuracy: The more you practice, the better you become. Practising sample papers and question banks can help you to improve your calculation speed and to enhance your analytical ability.
- Important topics: From the analysis of all the papers of JEE (Main), it is observed that most of the questions are from the chapters of States of Matter, Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry and Thermodynamics. So, you can allot more time for these chapters in JEE Main Physical Chemistry during your exam preparation.
Fig (2): Chapterwise Distribution of questions in Physical Chemistry JEE Mains 2019
Organic Chemistry for JEE is one of the most scoring areas of JEE Main. The Chemistry section has almost 30–40% questions from Organic Chemistry for IIT JEE Main paper. Here are a few tips which will help you master this scoring component of Chemistry.
- Clear any confusion and doubts of basics: Organic Chemistry for IIT JEE rests on the foundations of Nomenclature, Isomerism and Reaction Mechanism. If you are confused in the fundamentals, Organic Chemistry can be a nightmare refer Chemistry Free Doubts and Solutions. However, if you have a good command on the basics, you can be a master with so much ease.
- Don’t skip any chapter: Unlike in Physical Chemistry for JEE Main, chapters in Organic Chemistry are connected to each other much like a chain of carbon atoms. So, if you skipped any topic only because you found it difficult to understand, it may haunt you again in the very next chapter. The topic will continue to scare you in subsequent chapters until you firmly resolve to study it. It is advisable that you don’t skip any topic or concept the first time. You can also refer to CBSE Class 12 Science Chemistry videos to understand the concepts.
- Name reactions are important: In JEE Main Organic Chemistry, at least 3–4 questions are asked from name reactions. Note down these name reactions and understand their mechanism. Instead of mugging up all the reactions, understand the reaction mechanism to solve all kinds of tricky questions.
- Prepare mind maps: As we said earlier, all topics of Organic Chemistry are connected to each other. So, this makes it an ideal subject for mind maps. Besides being very effective to learn Organic Chemistry, mind maps will help you revise the entire JEE Main Organic Chemistry section in less time. Let’s look at an example:
Fig (3): Example of Mind Mapping Technique
In a single mind map, four or more topics can be covered at one glance. You can make charts, diagrams and maps of Organic Chemistry and stick these on the wall of your study room. This is a great way to quickly revise concepts of JEE Main Organic Chemistry.
In Inorganic Chemistry, there are many facts which have to be memorised. All of them can be understood, but you need to memorise them for the JEE Main Inorganic Chemistry exam. And that’s the difficult part in a subject with a vast syllabus. Here are a few tips which can help you as you study Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main.
- Use the NCERT book for JEE preparation: Revise the complete chapters of the NCERT book in Inorganic Chemistry at least 3–4 times with the help of CBSE Class 12 Science Chemistry Revision Notes. With other books of Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main, you may go way out of the syllabus, because the syllabus of Inorganic Chemistry is too vast, but the NCERT book is to the point and very specific. Using the book and going through NCERT solutions for Chemistry will keep you on track.
- Mark/underline the key points: When you are reading any chapter of Inorganic Chemistry for JEE, make a habit of underlining key points and reactions. It will help you at the time of revision.
- Make a habit of writing: You may not remember everything that you are taught, so writing important things and noting key points will help you a lot during revision. You can also revise lengthy chapters like the p-Block Elements in very less time by referring to these notes.
- Important chapters: From the analysis of all the papers of JEE Main, we observe that most of the questions are from Coordination Compounds and p-Block Elements. Allot more time in your JEE Main Inorganic Chemistry preparation for these chapters.
Fig (4): Chapterwise Distribution in Inorganic Chemistry 2019
In conclusion, Chemistry is easy to learn and easy to score. Don’t let it get too complicated. Just understand the concepts, follow the preparation tips for Chemistry in JEE Main and practise a lot of questions and revise!
Watch the Chemistry JEE Main expert give his opinion on how to crack the exam with the best tips, tricks and strategies and score marks in Chemistry section of JEE Main 2020
Due to the current Coronavirus outbreak, the April JEE Main 2021 exam has been postponed until further notice. In this critical stage of preparation for the exams, you can study from our JEE Crash Course 2021. This package comprises of FRM (Final Revision Module) & the Test Series, where the questions are modelled along the JEE pattern, to build familiarity with the exam and to improve your chances to clear Mains. To learn more about this call on 1800-212-7858.
Also, learn better from our subject matter experts by watching TopperLearning Webinar on doubt clearing for exams. So go ahead and use this proven tool to crack IIT JEE 2021. Clear your doubts with the ample exam preparation resources and JEE mentorship support on TopperLearning. To know more, ask the expert to solve your doubts within 24 hours.
Stay indoors, stay alert!
You can also read:
5 JEE Main Preparation Mistakes You Should Avoid Right Now!
Why NCERT Textbook Solutions Are Enough for JEE Main 2021?
Improve your performance with JEE Main Mock Tests 2021
9 tips to attempt the JEE Main 2021 Computer Based Test
JEE Main Preparation 2021- 4 ways to deal with doubts
5 Points to Help you Clear JEE Main 2021
HC Verma Vs. DC Pandey: Which books are best to prepare for JEE Main 2021?
How can I increase my paper solving speed for the JEE Main 2021?
Crack JEE with 5 Quarantine Time Management Tips and Score More
More from Education
- Education Franchisee opportunity
- NCERT Solution
- CBSE Class 9 Mathematics
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Science
- Sample Papers
- CBSE Class 9 Science
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Maths
- Revision Notes
- CBSE Class 10 Hindi
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 Social Studies
- CBSE Class 10 Science
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics
- Career In Science After 10
- Career In Commerce After 10
- Career In Humanities/Arts After 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 11
- Business Studies Class 12 CBSE project
- Add to favourite