Why in Kolbe's reaction the major product is ortho hydroxy benzoic acid and not para hydroxy benzoic acid ?Please explain in detail.
Asked by | 27th Jun, 2014, 06:57: PM
The mechanism for Kolbe's reaction is as follows:
From the above mechanism, the negative charge get developed on the ortho position. Hence the electrophillic substitution takes place at ortho position abd ortho hydroxy benzoic acid is formed as product.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 30th Jun, 2014, 11:44: AM
- C6H6O + CO2 + NaOH --
- Pl ans sir ...
- How phenol is used in the manufacture of drugs like aspirin?
- Which one among alcohols and phenols are more acidic and why?
- State the general uses of phenol.
- Write a short note on Reimer Tiemann reaction.
- What happens when phenol is heated with phthalic anhydride in presence of conc. H2SO4?
- How can you get p-cresol from Phenol?
- How are azo-dyes obtained?
- What happens if sulphonation of phenol is carried out at a high temperature?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number