mam/sir, I made one formula to find the number of covalent bonds between the hydrocarbon so please will you tell me that it really works or not
Asked by krishdabhoya2003 | 21st Feb, 2019, 05:52: PM
Yes, but it would work only to find the number of sigma bonds in a hydrocarbons not pi bonds.
Covalent bond has two types (1) sigma bond formed by head-on overlapping hence it is strong bond (2) pi-bond formed by lateral overlapping, hence it is weak than sigma bond.
(1) In the case of alkane,
Cn-1Hn = (2-1) +6 = 7 sigma covalent bonds.
(2) In the case of alkene,
Cn-1Hn = (2-1) +4 = 5 sigma covalent bonds.
This formula gives the only number of sigma bonds, not pi-bonds
Best way to find out,
The number of covalent bonds in alkane = Cn-1Hn
Cn-1Hn = (2-1) +6 = 7
The number of covalent bonds in alkene = (Cn-1Hn) +1
= [(2-1) +4] + 1 = 5 + 1 = 6
The number of covalent bonds in alkyne = (Cn-1Hn) +2
[Cn-1Hn ]+2= [(2-1) +2] +2 = 3+ 2 = 5
If you still have doubt you can post your query in the same section, We are happy to help you.
Answered by Ramandeep | 22nd Feb, 2019, 11:50: AM
- Respected Mam/Sir Can you pls give me the definition of butane ring..Where it is used? Is it neccesary to use it or is there any other way other than using it?
- A mixture of O2 and ethyne is used for welding purpose. Can you tell why a mixture of ethyne and air is not used?
- Explain how the fullerenes can be made good conductor of electricity
- How can we easily remember the Naming of carbon compond
- lewis dot structure and explanation of H2SO4 and CO
- Show me the electron dot structure of CH2(Methylene).Also show the bonding.(2 or 3 marks)
- What are carbon compounds?
- What is the importance of homologous series
- write the names of first two members of homologous series Alkenes?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number