It is said that magnetic field lines never intersect, and if they do, the compass needle would point in both north and south directions, which is impossible. What if we keep 2 magnets in such a way that, the field lines intersect, then, what happens to the compass needle when kept at the point of intersection?
Asked by Aryamaan | 23rd Aug, 2014, 07:51: PM
We know that one of the properties of magntic field lines is that the magnetic field lines never intersect each other.
If we assume that two magnets are placed such that the magnetic lines of force intersect each other, then at the point of intersection there will be two direcions for the magnetic field. Thus, we can draw two tangents at a single point. one tangent will give the direction of magnetic field of one magnet at that point, and the other tangent will give the direction of magnetic field of the another magnet, which is not posible. As there can be only one net magnetic field vector having only one direction at any point. Note that when two field of lines intersect their components along some directions would add up without changing the properties of the magnets.
Answered by Yashvanti Jain | 8th Dec, 2017, 04:38: PM
- Please answer
- What is a positive test charge?
- what is ampere swimming rule
- what is a magnetic field
- With the help of a diagram of experimental setup describe an activity to show that the force acting on a current carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field increases with increase in field strength.
- describe an activity to show magnetic field lines around a current carrying circular conductor
- All questions
- What type of magnets are present when a electric cell of 1.5V is connected to the DC motor. Note: This is regular DC motor.
- Explain the activity to show the end is produced along the straight current carrying conductor
- In Fleming's left hand rule which finger show the direction of magnetic field
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number