Does the magnetic compass have a magnetic field around it?
Asked by Gurinder | 7th Jun, 2015, 06:31: PM
A compass is used as a magnetic field direction detector. A compass is nothing more than a tiny magnet suspended such that it can freely rotate in response to a magnetic field. Like all magnets, the needle has a North pole and a South pole that get attracted and repelled by the poles of other magnets. When the compass is placed in a strong magnetic field, the needle turns due to the forces of attraction and repulsion until it is perfectly aligned with the direction of the field.
Answered by Yashvanti Jain | 13th Dec, 2017, 07:58: PM
- what is meant by solenoid?
- Describe an activity to 1) demonstrate the pattern of magnetic field lines around a straight conductor carrying current and 2) find the direction of the magnetic field produced for a given direction of current in a conductor. Answer has not been uploaded for this question even though it says that it has been answered
- Describe an activity to 1) demonstrate the pattern of magnetic field lines around a straight conductor carrying current and 2) find the direction of the magnetic field produced for a given direction of current in a conductor.
- What is the direction of the magnetic field?
- Explain briefly about magnetic field
- The given bar magnet is divided into three parts X ,Y ,Z Name the part where the strength of magnetic field is maximum minimum How will the density of magnetic field lines differ at these parts?
- does the strength of solenoid increase if we keep iron inside?
- In what direction will a magnetic compass deflect if it is placed on the west side of a wire which is carrying current in a vertically upward direction?
- what happen when a magnet placed in space
- Why do water spin when in a sink when plughole is removed. In which direction is the spin observed in northern hemisphere and in southern hemisphere. What makes them to spin in two different directions in different hemispheres ? Is it Coriols Effect ?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number