A lending library had a fixed charge for the first three days and an additional charge for each day thereafter. Saritha paid Rs 27 for a book kept for seven days while Susy paid Rs 21 for the book she kept for five days. Find the fixed charge and the charge for each extra day.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 16th Nov, 2013, 05:12: AM
Let the fixed charge for first three days and each day charge thereafter be Rs x and Rs y respectively.
According to the question,
Subtracting equation (2) from equation (1), we obtain:
2y = 6
y = 3
Substituting the value of y in equation (1), we obtain:
x + 12 = 27
x = 15
Hence, the fixed charge is Rs 15 and the charge per day is Rs 3.
Answered by | 16th Nov, 2013, 07:12: AM
- Rohit takes 3 hrs more than Ajay to walk 30 km, if Rohit doubles his pace, he is ahead of Ajay by 1½ hrs. Find their speed of walking.
- 99x+101y=429,101x+99y=501 please send me the solution.
- Five years ago , fathers age was 2 times the sum of ages of his three children. after 5 years fathers age can be obtained by subtracting 8 from the sum of ages of the three children. fathers present age is?
- Two typists undertake to do a job. The second typist begin working one hour after the first. Three hours after the first typist has begun working, there is still (9/20) of the work to be done. When the assignment is completed, it turns out that each typist has done half the work. How many hours would it take each one to do the whole job individually?
- Sarvesh and Naresh each has some money if Sarvesh gives ₹50 to Naresh and Naresh will have twice the money left with Sarvesh but if Naresh gives ₹20 to Sarvesh then Sarvesh will have thrice as much as left with Naresh how much money do each have
- Solve the following pair of linear equation by elimination 4x +19y + 13 = 0 13x - 23y + 19 = 0
- Find the number of pairs of natura l numbers are there the difference of whose squares is 45
- A boat takes 10 hours to travel 30 km upstream and 44 km downstream, but it takes 13 hours to travel 40 km upstream and 55 km downstream. Find the speed of the boat in still water and the speed of the stream.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number