How James Chadwicks discover neutron. What is a meaning of fluorescent screen
- James Chadwick in 1932 proved the existence of the neutron.
- He bombarded lighter elements like boron and beryllium with alpha particles.
- Highly penetrating neutral radiations were emitted.
- It was thought that these radiations were gamma rays.
- But the radiations differed in interaction with hydrocarbons and with elements like helium, lithium, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen etc.
- Thus these new particles were a proof of the existence of neutrons.
- The nuclear reaction of alpha particle with boron was given as follows:
- 115B + 42He -à 147N + 10n
- In artificial transmutation reactions neutron is denoted by 10n which is neutral in nature and has mass almost equal to the mass of a proton as it is a close combination of a proton and an electron.
A fluorescent screen is a type of transparent screen that is coated on one side with a phosphor that fluoresces when exposed to cathode rays or X-rays.
You have rated this answer /10