Science and Technology
Braille is Knowledge, Knowledge is Power: Louis Braille
Let us take a look at some interesting facts about Braille script.
Braille is Knowledge, Knowledge is Power: Louis Braille. He was the man who proved that, if there is will there is way! Let us take a look at some interesting facts about Braille script.
- Braille is a writing system specially designed for the blind and the visually impaired. It is with the help of Braille that visually impaired people can read and write.
- Frenchman Louis Braille is the inventor of Braille. Louis Braille lost his eyesight as a child in an accident. He spent his early teens in experimenting with things and finally developing a system which enabled the blind and visually impaired to read and write.
Image source: http://www.yankodesign.com
- At the age of 20, Frenchman Louis Braille published a book on the complete Braille system.
- The Braille letters are made of rectangular blocks called cells composed of six dots. These six dots are arranged in two columns consisting of three dots each. These six-dot cells have about 63 possible combinations.
- Braille is not a language. In fact, there is a Braille code for different languages. Every language has its own Braille system.
- There are three grades in Braille which represent the level of skill you have acquired. Grade 1 is for the people who have just started to read. It consists of 26 letters and punctuation marks. Grade 2 basically teaches contractions. It teaches you to save space as the Braille page can fit limited text. For example, public signs, books and menus can be written after you complete Grade 2. Grade 3 stands for personalised things. This level can be used to write letters and personal notes where you are capable of using short forms.
- The first school to accept the Braille system was the Missouri School for the Blind.
- Interestingly, Braille for feet also exists. The concept of Braille for feet is to make the visually impaired aware of dangerous areas.
MORE from Science and Technology
latest from Topper Learning
- Education Franchisee opportunity
- NCERT Solution
- CBSE Class 9 Mathematics
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Science
- Sample Papers
- CBSE Class 9 Science
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Maths
- Revision Notes
- CBSE Class 10 Hindi
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 Social Studies
- CBSE Class 10 Science
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics
- Career In Science After 10
- Career In Commerce After 10
- Career In Humanities/Arts After 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 11
- Business Studies Class 12 CBSE project