Silver atom has completely filled d orbitals (4d10) in its ground state. How can you say that it is a transition element?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 26th Jun, 2014, 09:58: AM
Silver Ag(Z = 47) has outer electronic configuration 5s14d10 in its ground state showing that it is not transition metal in first instance but in +2 oxidation state its electronic configuration is 5s04d9, proving that it is transition metal with incompletely filled d orbital.
Answered by | 26th Jun, 2014, 11:58: AM
- pls solve
- i need easy notes for chapter group 18 and d block of class 12
- Why are zinc,cadmium,mercury not considered in transition elements?
- Write down the three series of the transition metals.
- Write down the electronic configuration of Mn.
- Give the names of two series of inner transition metals.
- Define transition elements.
- Why the d-block elements are called transition elements?
- Why the 4s orbitals fill prior to 3d orbitals?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number