Predict the formulae of the stable binary compounds that would be formed by the following pairs of elements
i) Element 114 and fluorine
ii) Element 120 and Oxygen
Asked by Topperlearning User | 10th Sep, 2014, 03:33: PM
i) The element (M) with atomic number 114 belongs to group 14 of the periodic table so it will exhibit a valency of 2 (due to inert pair effect) and 4. The stable binary compound between this element and fluorine would have the formula MF2.
ii) The element (X) with atomic number 120 belongs to group2. Its valency would be 2. Thus, the formula of the compound between this element and Oxygen would have the formula XO.
Answered by | 10th Sep, 2014, 05:33: PM
- Define catalyst
- Name the element which shows diagonal relationship with Beryllium (Be).
- Give examples of three amphoteric oxides.
- What is the difference between an amphoteric oxide and a neutral oxide?
- Why do halogens act as good oxidizing agents?
- Explain with the help of chemical reaction that MgO is basic oxide while P4O10 is an acidic oxide
- What is the relationship between diagonal relationship of an element and the polarizing power of an element?
- Explain briefly the factors responsible for the difference in the behavior of the first member of group in the s and p block as compared to the other members of the same group.
- i) Write the correct order of the chemical reactivity of F, Cl, O and N on the basis of their oxidizing power. ii) Explain the cause of diagonal relationship.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number