please tell me how to find a limiting reagent with the help of a example
Asked by komal | 1st Jul, 2016, 07:51: AM
Many a time, the reactions are carried out when the reactants are not present in the amounts as required by a balance chemical reaction. In such situations, one reactant is in excess over the other. The reactant whicj is present in the lesser amounts gets consumed after sometime and after that no further reaction takes place whatever be the amount of the other reactant present. Hence, the reactant which gets consumed, limits the amount of product formed and is, therefore called the limiting reagent.
N2 + 3H2 → 2NH3.
Molecular mass of Nitrogen = 28 g/mol = 0.028 kg/mol
Molecular mass of Hydrogen = 6 g/mol = 0.006 kg/mol
Molecular mass of Ammonia = 17 g/mol = 0.017 kg/mol
Now, according to the balanced chemical equation, 0.028 kg of Nitrogen reacts with 0.006 kg of Hydrogen.
So, 50 kg of Nitrogen reacts with (0.006 x 50) / 0.028 = 10.71 kg of Hydrogen.
The amount of Hydrogen given (10 kg) is less than the amount required (10.71 kg) for 50 kg of Nitrogen.
Therefore, Hydrogen is the limiting reagent. the formation of Ammonia will depend on the amount of Hydrogen available for reaction.
0.006 kg of Nitrogen produces (2x0.017) = 0.034 kg of Ammonia.
So, 10 kg of Hydrogen will produce (0.034 x 10) / 0.006 = 56.67 kg of Ammonia.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 1st Jul, 2016, 12:20: PM
- what is mole
- In a reaction of magnesium with HCl if 2.24 litre of H2 is obtained at STP the mass of the other product will be what
- 5g of marble was added to 100 c.c of 0.2 M HCl. What volume of CO2 measured at STP will be evolved in the above reaction
- an organic compound an analysis : c=65%, h=3.5% n = 9.6% and o= 21.9% 0.3675 gm of the
- give answer
- The hydrated salt na2so4 nh20 under goes 55% loss in weight on heating and become anhydrous.the value of small n? will
- 25ml of a solution containing HCl was treated with excess of M/5 KIO3 and KI solution of unknown concentration where I2 liberated is titrated against a standard solution of 0.021M Na2S2O3 solution whose 24ml were used up. Find the strength of HCl and volume of KIO3 solution consumed.
- carbon react with chlorine to form ccl4 .36gm of carbon was mixed with 142gmof ccl2.calculate mass of ccl4 produce and remaining mass of reactant
- Phosphorus pentachloride decomposes according to this equation. PCl5(g) equilibrium reaction arrow PCl3(g) + Cl2(g) An equilibrium mixture in a 5.00 L flask at 245°C contains 4.27 g of PCl5, 9.31 g of PCl3, and 2.86 g of Cl2. How many grams of each will be found if the mixture is transferred into a 2.00 L flask at the same temperature.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number