please explain term velocity selector
Asked by vinodjoshi112233 | 12th Jun, 2017, 06:37: AM
-Velocity selector is a device consisting of perpendicular electric field (F = qE) and magnetic fields (F = qvB) that can be used as a velocity filter for charged particles.
-Devices like electron microscopes and spectrometers use this principle for operating.
-It is used in accelerator mass spectrometry to select particles based on their speed.
-Velocity selector segregates the particles such that the particles with the correct speed remain unaffected or undeflected while other particles will be deflected.
-Wilhelm Wien developed this phenomenon in the year 1898 for the study of anode rays and therefore velocity selector is also called Wien Selector.
Answered by Abhijeet Mishra | 12th Jun, 2017, 11:32: AM
- pls explain
- What do you mean by magnetic Lorentz force?
- When will be the force experienced by moving charge in a magnetic field maximum and minimum?
- What is the work done by a magnetic field on a moving charge?
- In the expression, F= qvBsinθ which pair of vectors among , and is always perpendicular to each other.
- Deduce an expression for the force experienced by the moving charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?
- State the rule, which governs the direction of the magnetic Lorentz force.
- Under which conditions there is no force experienced by the charge particle in a uniform magnetic field?
- Discuss the motion of a charged particle in uniform magnetic field?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number