CBSE Class 10 Grammar Revision Notes for Idioms and Phrases
Idioms and Phrases
What are Idioms and Phrases?
A phrase is a group of words which represents a part of speech.
- The big bad wolf – Noun Phrase
- Surprisingly good – Adjective Phrase
- Was sleeping – Verb Phrase
When the group of words or a phrase represents an idea or a thought which has a deeper, figurative meaning, it is called an idiom.
- Wolf in sheep’s clothing – A deceptive person or a thing
- Flesh and blood – related by blood
- No love lost – not on good terms
In this chapter, we shall learn some commonly used English idioms and phrases.
Idioms Related to Animals
Idioms Related to the Paranormal
Idioms Related to Food
Idioms Related to Mental State
Idioms Related to Household Items and Miscellaneous Things
Idioms Related to Parts of the Body