Write short note on dispersion methods of preparation of colloids.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 21st Jun, 2016, 12:58: PM
There are three dispersion methods:
1. Mechanical dispersion - Suspension dimension are grinded in colloidal mill or ultrasonic disintegrator to colloidal dimensions.
2. Electrical disintegration- Metal sols are prep by making electrode of the metal and immersed in dispersion medium and a electric arc is struck(involves dispersion plus condensation).
3. Peptization- Precipitate is converted into colloids sol by shaking in dispersion medium with an electrolyte called peptizing agent. e.g. Fe(OH)3 ppt + FeCl3. Fe+++ is absorbed on Fe(OH)3 and breaks into colloids.
Answered by | 21st Jun, 2016, 02:58: PM
- Explain the different phases of colloids
- Classify colloids on basis of interaction between phase and medium.
- Salad dressing is a common emulsion between oil and water. How is this emulsion formed?
- Name polymers which are lyophilic colloids.
- Classify colloids depending on the size of phase.
- Explain preparation of sulphur sol and gold sol.
- Why should colloids need purification?
- Describe any two methods of purifying colloids.
- What is peptization? Explain with example.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number