Request a call back

Join NOW to get access to exclusive study material for best results

CBSE Class 9 Answered

why do we die when we eat or drink poison?
Asked by aayushibansal1993 | 24 Aug, 2008, 12:31: PM
Expert Answer

Poisons are substances that can cause damage, illness, or death to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism. Different poisons harm the body in different ways.

A poison obstructs or inhibits a reaction, for example by binding to a catalyst. Contact or absorption of poisons can cause rapid death or impairment.  Agents that act on the nervous system can paralyze in seconds or less.

Inhaled or ingested cyanide almost instantly starves the body of energy by inhibiting the enzymes in mitochondria that make ATP. Intravenous injection of an unnaturally high concentration of potassium chloride, quickly stops the heart by eliminating the cell potential necessary for muscle contraction.

Answered by | 24 Aug, 2008, 12:56: PM
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by priyanshdhiman2008 | 31 Oct, 2022, 07:20: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by shivamasheeshpurohit2012 | 07 Sep, 2022, 10:22: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by nidhishreeks47 | 03 Sep, 2022, 04:31: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by Ravi | 28 Aug, 2022, 08:23: AM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by vritisharma2008 | 09 Aug, 2022, 09:58: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by Dr.skvidyarthi | 08 Aug, 2022, 01:41: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by sarkaradhiraj112 | 30 Jul, 2022, 02:07: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by ysania393 | 20 Jul, 2022, 04:07: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by mahak.kashyap409 | 10 Jul, 2022, 10:47: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
CBSE 9 - Biology
Asked by priyanshdhiman2008 | 23 Jun, 2022, 07:41: PM
ANSWERED BY EXPERT
×