Water id electrophillie or nucleophille?
Asked by Dimpy Chhabra | 19th Dec, 2013, 07:49: PM
- Water is amphoteric in nature means it can exhibit both acidic and basic nature.
- It is acidic because it can accept hydrogen forming H3O+ ion. Hence is basic.
- It can donate hydrogen forming OH- ion. Hence is acidic.
- Nucleophile means attraction for nucleus which is positively charged while elctrophile means attraction for electrons which are negatively charged.
- In the case of Water (H-O-H), middle oxygen atom has two lone pairs of electrons, which attracts nucleus. Hence water can act as a nucleophile, and not as an electrophile.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 20th Dec, 2013, 11:52: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number