SF6 exist not OF6. Why?
Asked by cute44464 | 1st Mar, 2021, 01:17: PM
SF6 exists but OF6 does not exist. There are two reasons for it-
(1) Electronegativity difference- S and F have sufficient difference in electronegativity but in OF6, Oxygen and Fluorine have almost same electronegativity so oxygen is not able to donate enough electron to form OF6 .
(2)d-Orbitals and Atomic size- In SF6 - Vacant d orbitals are present so excitation of electrons is possible. In OF6 - Vacant d orbitals are not present so excitation of electron is not possible.
Small atomic size of oxygen can not accommodates six fluorine atoms.
Answered by Ravi | 2nd Mar, 2021, 04:22: PM
- Pl answer
- The incorrect order of decreasing oxidation number of S in compounds is: H2 S2 O7 > Na2 S4 O6 > Na2 S2 O3 > S8 H2 S O5 > H2 S O3 > S Cl2 > H2 S S O3 > S O2 > S8 > H2 S H2 S O4 > S O2 > H2 S > H2 S2 O8
- Why is SF6 not easily hydrolysed by water ?
- A hydride of gr 16 element is a gas and acts as a reducing agent when reacted with SO2. It has a smell of rotten eggs and is used in qualitative analysis. It forms a black ppt with Ni2+ in basic medium. It also forms a black ppt with lead acetate solution. Identify the gas and write the equations involved.
- The correct order of S—S bond length in following oxyanions is : (I) S2O42– (II) S2O52– (III) S2O6–2
- What are the allotropic forms of sulphur?
- Mention some uses of sulphuric acid.
- Draw the structure of Sulphurous acid.
- How to increase the yield of sulphuric acid in Contact process? Draw the flow chart for the manufacture of sulphuric acid.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number