How do the following microbes act as Biocontrol agents ?
Asked by vaishalivaghela1006 | 21st Jan, 2019, 12:32: PM
- The natural method of pest and pathogen control involving the use of viruses, bacteria, and other insects is called biocontrol or biological control.
- Growth of cacti in India and Australia was checked by the introduction of its natural herbivore, cochineal insect (Cactoblastis cactorum).
- Growth of Klamath weed (Hypericum perforatum) was checked in USA by the introduction of Chrysolina beetles.
- Introduction of ladybugs (Ladybird beetles) and praying mantis have been successfully used to combat scale insects or aphids which feed on plant sap.
- The virus Baculovirus heliothis can control cotton bollworm Heliothis zea.
- The bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis can control the cabbage looper Trichoplusia.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 21st Jan, 2019, 12:41: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number