Please wait...
1800-212-7858 (Toll Free)
9:00am - 8:00pm IST all days


Thanks, You will receive a call shortly.
Customer Support

You are very important to us

For any content/service related issues please contact on this toll free number


Mon to Sat - 11 AM to 8 PM

CBSE - XI Science - Chemistry - Hydrocarbons

In order to detect unsaturation in the given sample we add bromine water to the test tube containing organic sample and carbon tetra chloride .
can we use any other reagent?if so what are the requirements of the reagent to be used instead of CCl4 please explain in detail.
thank you.

Asked by preethambasilmartis 27th June 2016, 11:33 AM
Answered by Expert


  • Carbon teytrachloride (CCl4) is an inert solvent that will not react with either the Bromine, or target precursor molecule.
  • It just gives space for the reaction to take place. 
  • Other reagents such as chloroform, or dioxan can be used as solvent in place of carbon tetrachloride.
Answered by Expert 27th June 2016, 6:07 PM

Rate this answer

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

You have rated this answer /10

Report an issue
Your answer has been posted successfully!