WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF HOMOLOGOUS AND ANALOGOUS ORGANS IN THE FOSSILS OF EVOLUTION ?
Asked by Shubham | 28th Feb, 2015, 11:23: PM
Homologous organs: Homologous organs are organs that have a similar basic structure but perform different functions. Example forelimbs of a human and whale.
Analogous organs: Analogous organs are organs that perform a similar function but are structurally different. Example wing of a bird and wing of a bat.
The presence of homologous and analogous organs helps in evolutionary studies and tracing the ancistory of a fossil. The presence of homologous organs suggests that the organims is closely related to that species and shares a common ancestory. By determining the homologous organs in fossils we can determine the possible ancestory of the present day organisms.
The presence of analogous organs in fossils helps us to understand that the two species live(d) in a common enviormental condition and have evolved to live in the same environment.
Thus by determining the presence of homologous and analogous organs in the fossils we can trace the possible ancestory of the present day organisms as well as determine the environmental conditions that prevailed in primitive times.
Answered by Aniket Vyawahare | 2nd Mar, 2015, 11:07: AM
- What is the difference between eyes and eye spot? Which animal poses eye spot?
- Give one difference between eyes and eye spot. Which animal possesses eye spots?
- What is called phylogenetic system of classification?
- Two people looks similar but they have different ancestors. Again two people looks different but they have common ancestors.justify
- Selection of variants by environmental factors forms the basis for evolutionary processes.explain the statement with example.
- Why energy required is less for amphibians than for birds?
- How do variations arise in organism?"Variations is useful for the survival of species".justify this statement with the help of an example.
- In evolutionary term we have more common with a school boy or a chimpanzee
- What are the tools for finding evolutionary relationship in human
- How evolution and classification of organism is interlinked?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number