What are the 6 factors that influence adsorption
Asked by shreemuvijihari | 18th May, 2020, 06:29: PM
Factors Affecting Adsorption of Gases by Solids
A] Nature and surface area of adsorbent:
1. The same gas is adsorbed to different extents by different solids at the same temperature.
2. Also, greater the surface area of the adsorbent, greater is the volume of the gas adsorbed.
So, substances such as charcoal and silica gel are the best adsorbents because they have high surface area and a highly porous structure.
3. Thus, finely divided substances provide a larger adsorption power than when they are present in the compact form
B] Nature of gas being adsorbed:
1. Different gases are adsorbed to different extents by the same adsorbent at the same temperature.
2. The critical temperature of a gas is the minimum temperature above which the gas cannot be liquefied however high the pressure may be.
3. It is practically observed that higher the critical temperature of a gas, greater is the amount of gas adsorbed,
i.e. the gas which is more easily liquefiable or is more soluble in water is more readily adsorbed.
1. It is observed that the adsorption decreases with an increase in temperature.
For example, one gram of charcoal adsorbs about 10 ml of N2at 273 K, 20 ml at 244 K and 45 ml at 195 K.
1. At constant temperature, the adsorption of gas increases with an increase in pressure.
2. At low temperature, the adsorption of gas increases very rapidly as the pressure is increased.
E] Activation of the solid adsorbent:
1. Activation of an adsorbent is increasing the power of the adsorbent.
Answered by Varsha | 19th May, 2020, 12:55: PM
- What type of sol is formed by iron hydroxide
- Adsorption and absorption what is the difference in them.
- define the adsorption isobar
- define the extent of adsorption
- define enthalpy of adsorption
- how does the extent of adsorption in the solution phase vary with concentration of solution
- what are the factors that influence the adsorption of gas on a solid
- Surface Chemistry 1) define . enthalpy of adsorption and extent of adsorption and adorption isobar 2) what are the factors that influence the the adsorption of a gas on a solid ? 3) how does the extent of adsorption in the solution phase vary with concentration of solution ? 4) name the two groups into which the phenomenon of catalysis can be divided . Give an example of each group which chemical equation involved . 5)difference b/w peptisation and coagulation 6) explain Hardy Schulze rule THANKYOU
- Write the equation representing the adsorption of a solute from a solution by bred if arc method
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number