- use wave theory to verify the laws of reflection and law of reflection
Asked by ap996969 | 23rd Jan, 2019, 06:30: PM
A ray of light is incident on the surface along with another ray which is parallel and also incident to this ray on this surface.
AB is incident at an angle ‘ i ‘ on the reflecting surface MN.
These rays are incident from the surface.
When we draw a perpendicular from point ‘A’ to this ray of light, A line joining the Point A and point B will be formed.
This is called as wavefront and it is incident on the surface.
As the incident wavefront is carrying two points, A and B, we can say that from point B to point C the light is travelling some distance.
Let ‘ v ‘ represent the speed of the wave in the medium and ‘ r ‘ represent the time taken by the wavefront from the point B to C then the distance
BC = vr
To construct the reflected wavefront we draw a circle of radius vr from the point A.
Let CE represent the tangent plane drawn from the point C to this circle.
AE = BC = vr
Considering the triangles EAC and BAC we observe that they are congruent.
As these triangles are congruent, measure of their corresponding angles 'i' and 'r' will also be equal.
This is law of reflection that states that angle of incidence 'i' is equal to angle of reflection which is 'r'
Answered by Science Mate | 23rd Jan, 2019, 09:57: PM
- when ray of light passes from one medium to another medium
- Define Huygens Principle
- An object is placed at 10 cm distance infront of a concave mirror of radius of curvature of 20 cm. Find the position,nature and magnification of the image.
- define wave front.state
- state and explain huygens principle explain how a reflected wavefront is constructed when light travels from denser medium to rarer medium
- (a) In young’s double slit experiment, deduce the conditions for obtaining constructive and destructive interference fringes. Hence, deduce the expression for the fringe width. (b) Show that the fringe pattern on the screen is actually a superposition of slit diffraction from each slit. (c) What should be the width of each slit to obtain 10 maxima of the double slit pattern within the central maximum of the single slit pattern, for green light of wavelength 500 nm, if the separation between two slits is 1 mm?
- <div>obtain "laws of refraction "by using hygens principle</div>
- <div>what is the shape of the wavefront on earth for sunlight</div>
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number