Unit cell consists of a cube in which anions(B) are present at each corner and cations (A) at the centre of the alternate face of the unit cell what is the simplest formula of the compound
Asked by prasadranjan46 | 5th May, 2018, 10:54: AM
The contribution of an atom placed at the corner of the unit cell is 1/8
Therefore the total no. of anions (B) which are present in a unit cell is = (1/8) X total no. of corners = (1/8) X 8 = 1 anion
The contribution of an atom placed at face centre = 1/2
When cations are placed at the alternative faces the total no. of atoms are 2
Therefore total no. of cations are = (1/2) X 2 = 1
Thus, the formula of the compound is AB.
Answered by Ramandeep | 5th May, 2018, 07:03: PM
- cation A occupies 2/3rd of all the octahedral voids while the anion B is found in all lattice points predict the formula of the ionic compound formed by them
- where is exam decoded in this topic?!!!!
- explain conduction band theory brifly ?
- What is the percentage of space occupied by the spheres in hexagonal close packing in two dimensions?
- What is co-ordination number?
- What is the co-ordination number of atoms in BCC, HCP, CCP and simple lattices?
- An element exists as hexagonal close packed structure as well as cubic close packed structure. In which case the element would have higher density?
- In AB2O4, the oxide ions are placed in cubic close packed lattice, cation A is present in tetrahedral voids and cations B are present in octahedral voids. What is the percentage of tetrahedral and octahedral voids occupied by A and B respectively?
- In a solid, oxide ions are arranged in CCP, cation A occupy one- sixth of the tetrahedral voids and cations B occupy one third of the octahedral voids. What is the formula of the compound?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number