Seeds of different genetic strains are kept for long periods in seed banks. Explain the conservative strategy involved in this process.
Asked by subratabanerjee686 | 19th Nov, 2015, 10:40: PM
There are two strategies involved in maintaining seed banks- ex situ and in situ. Ex situ approaches involve conserving samples of crop seeds under frozen storage conditions, where they may remain viable (able to germinate) for long periods of time.In situ approaches support and encourage the relationship between people and plants through which both natural and human selection pressures continue to result in the development of new crop varieties. The approach can be:
1. Sealed samples of individual accessions are placed in frozen storage.
2. When these samples begin to show decreased viability, they are regenerated. Regeneration involves removing the sample from the freezer, growing it at the conservation farm and replacing the previous frozen sample with newly produced fresh seed.
3. For each accession, duplicate samples are taken in order to have a back-up in case any individual regeneration attempt fails.
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 20th Nov, 2015, 08:40: AM
- role of a human being in biodiversity conservation
- What is EI Nino effect
- which of the following is not done in a wildlife sanctuary a. conservation of fauna b. conservation of flora c. prohibtion of hunting d. exploitation of soil and flora
- what is alpha,beta and gamaa diversity?
- one of the endangered species of indian medicinal plant is that of whom? => nepenthes, podophyllum,garlic or ocimum?
- What is the function of National Bureau of Plant Animal and Fish Genetic Resources?
- What is cryopreservation? Write the importance of cryopreservation in conservation of biodiversity.
- Name the Indian hotspots that extend into other countries.
- What are seed banks?
- What are endangered species? How many animals and plants are endangered in India?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number