please tell definations of Gene, Alleles, Dominant, Recessive,Heterozygous, Homozygous, Genotype, phenotype,
Asked by rutujasarangmehta | 11th Apr, 2015, 07:13: PM
Gene- A gene is the molecular unit of heredity of a living organism.
Allele- Pairs or series of genes on a chromosome that determine the hereditary characteristics.
Dominant- Dominant refers to a gene that will present itself by producing a characteristic that can be inherited.An example of a dominant gene is the brown-eyed gene
Recessive- Recessive is defined as a gene with characteristics which are not as strong as those on a dominant gene. An example of a recessive is the gene for blue eyes
Heterozygous- A pair of genes where one is dominant and one is recessive.An example is human blood types
Homozygous- When a cell has two identical copies of a gene. An example of homozygous is a cell containing blue eye genes from both parents
Genotype- The genetic makeup, distinguished from the physical appearance of an organism.
Phenotype- The physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 12th Apr, 2015, 08:32: AM
- find the answer
- Would the phenotypic ratio for monohybrid cross be 3:1 rather than 1:2:1?
- What is threshold effect or threshold trait in genetics?
- Please find the question in the picture.
- In a Maize plant, the height of plant with genotype AABB is 40cm & date of plant with genotype AaBb 30cm then the height of plant with genotype aabb will be
- Is there any limitations of dihybrid cross?
- Describe the steps or procedure of mendels experiment with suitable example
- Mention all the Gamate produced from AaBbCcDe?And Name them
- Mention the gamates produced from genotype AaBbCcDd?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number