(i) A tuning fork T produces n beats/sec with another fork S whose frequency is known to be n1. When T is loaded with wax, the beat frequency decreases. What is the frequency of T?
(ii) On loading T if the beat frequency increases, what will be the frequency of T?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 22nd May, 2015, 05:00: PM
(i) The frequency of the fork T must be either (n1 + n) Hz or (n1 - n) Hz since n beats are produced initially.
When the fork is loaded with wax, its frequency is reduced.
Hence, if the fork had a frequency (n1 - n) Hz, then the beat frequency would have reduced.
So, the frequency of the unknown fork has to be (n1 + n) Hz.
(ii) Similarly, if the beat frequency increases then the frequency of fork T will be (n1 - n) Hz.
Answered by | 22nd May, 2015, 07:00: PM
- Define beats. Give the analytical treatment of beats.
- A set of 28 tuning forks is arranged in a series of decreasing frequencies. The first tuning fork is higher ocatve of last tuning fork. When the two consecutive tuning forks are sound together, 4 beats are produced. Find the frequency of first and last tuning fork.
- Two waves of wavelengths 1m and 1.02m produce 13 beats in 2 seconds in air at NTP. Find the velocity of air at NTP.
- What is the difference between interference and beats?
- (i) What are beats? Name the basic phenomenon due to which beats are produced. (ii) Two sources of sound are producing waves of frequency n1 and n2, where (n1 - n2) is small. Show mathematically that the beat frequency is (n1 - n2).
- In an experiment it was found that a tuning fork and a sonometer gave 5 beats per second, both when the length of the wire was 1 m and 0.05 m. Calculate the frequency of the fork.
- Two open end organ pipes of length 50 cm and 50.5 cm produce 3 beats/sec. Calculate the velocity of sound in air.
- A note produces 7 beats with tuning fork A of frequency 256 Hz and 3 beats with tuning fork B of frequency 266 Hz. Find the frequency of note.
- A tuning fork gives 3 beats per second with sonometer wire when its length is either 49.8 cm of 50.2 cm. Find the frequency of tuning fork.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number