A set of 28 tuning forks is arranged in a series of decreasing frequencies. The first tuning fork is higher ocatve of last tuning fork. When the two consecutive tuning forks are sound together, 4 beats are produced. Find the frequency of first and last tuning fork.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
Let the frequency of last tuning fork is v. Thus the frequency of first tuning fork will be 2v. As the two successive tuning forks produce 4 beats, therefore the frequency of other tuning fork will be
2v, 2v-4, 2v-8.........................v.
The above series is AP series. For AP series we have
Tn = a + (n-1)d
Here Tn = v, a = 2v,
n = 28, d = -4
Therefore, v = 2v + (28 - 1) (-4)
or v = 108 Hz and 2v = 216 Hz
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- Define beats. Give the analytical treatment of beats.
- Two waves of wavelengths 1m and 1.02m produce 13 beats in 2 seconds in air at NTP. Find the velocity of air at NTP.
- What is the difference between interference and beats?
- (i) A tuning fork T produces n beats/sec with another fork S whose frequency is known to be n1. When T is loaded with wax, the beat frequency decreases. What is the frequency of T? (ii) On loading T if the beat frequency increases, what will be the frequency of T?
- (i) What are beats? Name the basic phenomenon due to which beats are produced. (ii) Two sources of sound are producing waves of frequency n1 and n2, where (n1 - n2) is small. Show mathematically that the beat frequency is (n1 - n2).
- In an experiment it was found that a tuning fork and a sonometer gave 5 beats per second, both when the length of the wire was 1 m and 0.05 m. Calculate the frequency of the fork.
- Two open end organ pipes of length 50 cm and 50.5 cm produce 3 beats/sec. Calculate the velocity of sound in air.
- A note produces 7 beats with tuning fork A of frequency 256 Hz and 3 beats with tuning fork B of frequency 266 Hz. Find the frequency of note.
- A tuning fork gives 3 beats per second with sonometer wire when its length is either 49.8 cm of 50.2 cm. Find the frequency of tuning fork.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number