How solve problems related to resistance
Asked by randhirsingh | 1st Jan, 2019, 06:36: PM
There are various formulae for determining the resistance.
The important formula is Ohm's law
which is V = IR
If values for voltage and current are known to us we can determine the resistance.
The other numericals which may be asked related to resistances is determining the equivalent resistance when the resistors are connected in series and parallel.
For series combination,
Rs = R1 + R2 + .... Rn
where n - number of resistors connected in circuit in series combination
For parallel combination,
Rp = R1 + R2 + R3 + ....Rn
where n - number of resistors connected in circuit in parallel combination
In numericals of combination of resistors, the resistors may be connected in series as well as parallel combination and you may be asked to determine the equivalent resistance in the given circuit. Solving such problems is easy provided you are able to determine which resistors are connected in series and how many are in parallel combination. Once you are able to determine this then the solving part of these type of numericals is easy as you just have to substitute the values in the formula.
Remember that the resistors which are connected in series have only one end of it connected to one end of other resistor. Below diagram will help you to understand in better way.
When resistors are connected in parallel both end of one resistor is connected to both ends of one resistor or multiple resistors.
Below diagram shows both the combination of resistors in series and parallel.
Hope, this explanation would help you to solve the numericals. If you still have doubts regarding any numericals you can subscribe to www.topperlearning.com and post your queries in Doubts and solutions section. And it's very important to keep practicing numericals and get an idea of various types of problems which may be asked in paper. Wish u all the best.
Answered by Shiwani Sawant | 2nd Jan, 2019, 12:06: PM
- To find rarional btw potential difference and current
- define ohms law
- Please find the attached question,
- How many 176 ohm resistors ( in parallel) are required to carry 5A on a 220V line?
- Why resistance will increase to 3 times when length is increased 3 times and will not increase to 9 times?
- A battery of 9V is connected in series with resistors of 0.2 ,0.3, 0.4, 0.5, and 12 . How much current would flow through the 12 resistor?
- A bulb is rated as 60W , 220V . what does it mean?
- Fig a,b,c show three cylindrical copper conductors along with their face areas and length.Compare the resistance and the resistivity of the three conductors justify your answer.Which geometry will have highest resistance and why?
- In an experiment on studying the dependence of current (i) flowing through a given resistor on the potential difference (v) applied across it, list two ways how a student would change the values of current in the circuit?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number