give a chemical test to distinguish butan2ol and 2methylpropane 2 ol.
Asked by vasturushi | 18th Jun, 2017, 09:07: PM
Butan-2-ol is secondary alcohol and 2-methylpropan-2-ol is tertiary alcohol.
Lucas test to distinguish between secondary and tertiary alcohols:
Both the alcohols are treated with Lucas reagent (HCl + ZnCl2)
Turbidity appears immediately for tertiary alcohols such as 2-methylpropan-2-ol.
In case of secondary alcohols such as Butan-2-ol, turbidity appears after 5 minutes.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 19th Jun, 2017, 10:47: AM
- how can you prepare secondary alcohol using carbonyl compound explain with example
- what happens when ethyl alcohol is passed over copper at 300 degree celcius
- Pls solve sir
- alcohol property
- Plz answer 5th with reaction and explanation
- Pl ans sir..pl with reason Which of the following is an aromatic acid A.phenol B.benzyl alcohol C.3-methly benzylalcohol D.3-methylphenol The ans can be more than one
- Among ethyl amine and ethyl alcohol which one of them have higher boiling point and why
- Write the name of primary alcohol which can react with Lucas reagent at room temperature
- The major product of the reaction between benezenediazonium chloride and ethanol is
- American organic compound A on treatment with ethyl alcohol gives a carboxylic acid B and compound C. Hydrolysis of C under acidic condition gives B and D. Oxidation of B with KMnO4 also gives D. Compound N on heating with Ca (OH)2 gives E . Compound E does not give Tollen's test and doesn't reduce Fehling's solution but forms yellow ppt with Brady's reagent. Identify A to E.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number