Assertion- Silver articles become coated with a black layer upon exposure to air.
Resaon- A layer of oxide gets deposited upon oxidation with air.
A- Assertion and Reason both are correct and reason is the correct explanation of assertion.
B- Assertion and Reason both are correct and reason is not the correct explanation of assertion.
C- Assertion is true but reason is false.
D- Reason is true but assertion is false
Please provide an explanation too.
Asked by vandanawasan02 | 13th Feb, 2020, 09:24: AM
Aseertion and reason both are correct and reason is correct explanation of assertion. When silver is exposed to air, it becomes black due to oxide coating, although silver is not very reactive metal but with passage of time, it slowly reacts with oxygen in the air and forms black coloures silver oxide.
Follow up question- Silver forms sulphide layer upon oxidation. I am confused between B and C. A option is definitely wrong.
Asked by vandanawasan02 | 13th Feb, 2020, 02:08: PM
Silver also forms Silver Sulphide because of reaction in between traces of H2S present in environment. Silver reacts with oxygen and forms Silver Oxide. Silver Sulphide is formed in more quantity as compared to Silver oxide because Silver has more affinity to form a bond with S as compared to O. Ag reacts very slow with O.
So Oxide is deposited but colour of Ag2O is brown in layer and colour of Ag2S is black.
So Silver is oxidised and forms Silver sulphide and Silver oxide. But black colour of layer is formed due to sulphide formation (due to high affinity with silver) which forms when silver is exposed to air.
Answered by Ravi | 13th Feb, 2020, 03:18: PM
- what is the definition of redox reaction
- Explain About oxidation and reduction reactions In detail .
- what is redox reaction??
- How to find redox reaction?
- Which of the following is a redox reaction? (A) NaCl + KNO3 → NaNO3 + KCl (B) CaC2O4 + 2HCl → CaCl2 + H2C2O4 (C) Mg(OH)2 + 2NH2Cl → MgCl2 + 2NH4OH (D) Zn + 2AgCN → 2Ag + Zn(CN)2
- Pls clear the concept of redox reactions and give me some 10 examples quiclkly
- In this reaction hydrochloric acid is oxidized to chlorine gas and manganese dioxide is reduced to manganese chloride
- We know that the volume of hydrogen and oxygen in electrolysis of water is 2:1, but we see in ncert text book that there is more amount of water in anode than cathode , what is the reason behind this contradiction
- Why electrolysis of water is important?
- what is redox
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number