Which sequence of RNA is transcribed from a hypothetical sequence of DNA given below?
Explain in detail.
Asked by Kb Aulakh | 20th Apr, 2015, 05:17: PM
In a DNA sequence, the strand which reads in the 5’-3’ direction is the coding strand which contains the genetic information to be transcribed. The other strand in the 3’-5’ direction is the template strand which is complementary to the coding strand.
If we take the template strand and build a new DNA strand on it, we would get an exact copy of the original DNA coding strand formed. RNA transcription occurs in a similar fashion. If we build an RNA strand on the template strand, we will get a copy of the information on the DNA coding strand - but with one important difference. In RNA, uracil (U) is used instead of thymine (T).
With reference to our question, the given hypothetical sequence of DNA is as follows:
It is known that the sequence of mRNA is same as the coding strand of DNA. However, in RNA, thymine is replaced by uracil.
Hence, the sequence of mRNA will be 5'-UACGUACGUACGUACG-3'.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 20th Apr, 2015, 07:26: PM
- what are the codons AUG and UAA referred to as
- Differentiate between RNA polymerase and DNA polymerase?
- What is steam used for the genes that transcribe in dna coding for more than one type of polypetide chain.answer in one word.
- Mention the 3 different types of Rna,along alon their individual functions.
- What is anti codon
- Explain the process of making heterogeneous nuclear RNA (hnRNA) into a fully functional mRNA in eukaryotes. Where does this process occur in the cell?
- describe transcription briefly.(long question)
- if a dna segment consists of 90 nucleotides pairs then a) what will be the no. of amino acids in the polypeptide chain which are translated from it? b) what will be the no. of nucleotides in mRNA transcribed from it? c) how many nitrogenous bases r present in the dna segment?
- Write the 2 specific codons that a translational unit of mRNA is flanked by one on either sides.
- The sequence of one strand of DNA is written as follows: 5'- ATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGCATGC - 3'. Write down the sequence of the complementary strand in 5' ~ 3' direction.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number