Mendeleev predicted the existence of certain elements not known at that time and named two of them as eka-aluminium and eka-silicon. Swati has been given an assignment in the class on Mendeleev's periodic table. She has to answer the following questions in the assignment:
(i) Name the element which has taken the place of (a) eka-aluminium (b) eka-silicon
(ii) Mention the period/periods of these elements in the modern periodic table.
(iii) Write the group/groups of these elements in the modern periodic table.
(iv) Classify these elements as metals, non-metals or metalloids.
(v) How has the classification of elements according to modern periodic table helped in making the study of chemistry easy?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 13th Jul, 2015, 03:02: PM
(i) (a) Gallium (b) Germanium.
(ii) 4th period.
(iii) Gallium: 13th group; Germanium: 14th group.
(iv) Gallium: Metal; Germanium: Metalloid.
(v) In the periodic table, all the elements have been divided into a few groups of elements. It is much more convenient to study the properties of a few elements of each group than to study the properties of all the elements separately.
Answered by | 13th Jul, 2015, 05:02: PM
- The position of cobalt and nickel was anomalous pair in Mendeleev's periodic table. Please explain if it was merit or demerit of Mendeleev's periodic table?
- Write note on position of isotopes in the Mendeleev's and modern periodic table
- Dear Sir/Madame, Can you please tell me what are the limitations of Dobeniers's law according to the NCERT textbook and nothing extra. Thank you.
- Why the period 3 of the periodic table has 8 elements
- Why is atomic number considered to be a more appropriate parameter than atomic mass for the classification of elements in a periodic table?
- Do I have to learn the arreangement of elements according to Newlands and Mendeleev? Do I have to learn the table of Mendeleev's classification ?what type of questions are asked from this chapter
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number