How many words (with or without meaning) of three distinct letters of the English alphabets are there?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 24th Nov, 2015, 12:14: PM
Here we have to make 3 letter words. That means we have to fill up three places by distinct letters of the English alphabets.
Since there are 26 letters of the English alphabet, the first place can be filled by anyone of these letters. So, there are 26 ways of filling up the first place. Now the second place can be filled up by anyone of the remaining 25 letters. So, there are 25 ways of filling up the second place. After filling up the first two places only 24 letters are left to fill up the third place. So the third place can be filled in 24 ways.
Hence the required number of words = 26 x 25 x 24 = 15600
Answered by | 24th Nov, 2015, 02:14: PM
- Kindly answer this.
- number of ways of selecting pair of black squares in chessboard such that they have exactly one common corner is equal to ______________
- In a class there are 27 boys and 15 girls. The teacher wants to select a boys and a girl for the monitor ship of the class. In how many ways can the teacher make this selection?
- A room has 5 doors. In how many ways can a man enter the room through one and come out through a different door?
- How many numbers are there between 100 and 1000 in which all the digits are distinct?
- How many three digit odd numbers can be formed by using the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6 If: 1) the repetition of digits is not allowed? 2) the repetition of digits is allowed?
- A mint prepares metallic calendars specifying months, dates and days in the form of monthly sheets (one plate for each month). How many types of February calendars should he prepare to serve for all the possibilities in the future years?
- In how many ways 5 rings of different types can be worn in 4 fingers?
- How many numbers are there between 100 and 1000 which have exactly one of their digits as 7?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number