How do we calculate the molecular mass and formula unit mass.Please explain as fast as possible.
Asked by sabu_sreeja | 29th Oct, 2015, 09:01: PM
Both molecular mass and formula mass signify the same thing.
‘Molecular mass’ is used for mass of covalent compounds (molecules).
Similarly, ‘Formula unit mass’ is the term used for mass of ionic compounds.
The only reason we use two different terms is because molecules are covalent compounds meaning they have only non-metals.
So ionic compounds cannot be a molecule and therefore it would not make sense to find the molecular mass for an ionic compound, so we just call it the "formula mass", when we are talking about ionic compounds.
The molecular mass is the mass of one molecule of a substance. It is calculated by summing up the atomic masses of all the elements present in that particular molecule.
(a) The molecular mass of H2O can be calculated as follows: H2O = 2 X 1 + 16 = 18 u
(b) The molecular mass of CO2 can be calculated as follows: CO2 = 12 + 16 X 2 = 44 u
(c) The molecular mass of NH3 can be calculated as follows: NH3 = 14 + 3 X 1 = 17 u
(d)The formula mass of an ionic compond like sodium chloride will be, NaCl = 23 + 35.5 = 58.5 u
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 30th Oct, 2015, 09:52: AM
- find molar mass of sodium carbonate
- Calculate the mass of 1.5 mole of methane CH4
- How to find mass number without knowing no of neutrons and atomic mass .
- State the low of mass conservation
- How to find Number of neutrons in an atom if you don't know it's mass number and atomic mass?
- molecular mass of magnesium chloride is?
- what is the mass of sulphur
- how will you calculate the mass number of argon,helium,phosphorus
- is automic mass same for all elements or is a different for different atoms? explain ? explain
- mass of 5.84*10^21 atoms of Helium
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number