explain why, a person can lie on a bed of nails if there is a very large number of nails?
Asked by skbl2009 | 23rd Nov, 2015, 10:36: AM
When a force acts over a large area of an object, it produces a small pressure. But if the same force acts over a large area of an object, it produces a large pressure. The force produced by the man's weight is distributed over hundreds of nails of the nail bed. Therefore, the force applied by individual nail is reduced. As a result the force per unit area at the tip of each nail is less than that required for the nail to pierce into the skin. This implies to all the nails in contact with the man’s body. The nails do not penetrate in the man’s skin and he does not get hurt. Thus, a person can lie on a bed of nails if there are very large number of nails.
Answered by Yashvanti Jain | 23rd Nov, 2015, 10:47: AM
- 𝖉𝖊𝖋𝖎𝖓𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊
- find the greatest and least pressure which a metal block of size 5cm*10cm *15cm can exert if the mass of block is 50 kg
- A wooden cuboid has a mass of 8 kg.The length , breadth and height of this wooden cuboid are 100 cm , 50 cm and 20cm respectively.Find the pressure on the floors on which this block is kept.
- A solid weighs 2.10g in air.its relative density is 8.4.how much the body will weigh in water and in a liquid of relative density 1.2.
- why does rain fall in drops and not pour all together ?
- Define thrust and pressure
- Give the units for Force, Acceleration due to gravity, Gravitational Constant and Pressure.
- Calculate the pressure exerted by a cube of side 6cm and mass 2kg kept on a table.
- Why do needles and pins have pointed tip?
- A box of mass 10 kg and dimensions 2m x 2m x 2m is kept on floor. Each of its side is reduced by half metre and its mass reduces to 6kg. Find the ratio of the pressure exerted on the floor before and after the reduction.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number