CBSE Class 8 Answered
Explain that friction is a friend or foe with best examples.Please answer this quickly as this is very urgent.
Friction is a necessary evil. There are instances in daily life where friction is a necessity.
Friction as a friend:
Friction plays a vital role in our daily life.
- Construction of buildings is possible only because of friction.
- We are able to write because of friction between the paper and the tip of the pen.
- Without friction between our shoes and the ground, we will not be able to walk.
- A horse cannot pull a cart unless friction furnishes him a secure Foothold.
Friction as a foe:
- The main disadvantage of friction is that it produces heat in the moving parts of machines which causes wear and tear of the parts.
- It opposes the motion.
- A lot of energy is wasted in overcoming friction.
- It causes wear and tear of the soles of shoes.
- Due to friction, noise is also produced in machines.