Do strong bases also damage our body as strong acids?Give some examples
Asked by shudhanshujn | 28th Jun, 2014, 07:30: PM
Excess of Antacids
Antacids contain mild bases like sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and milk of magnesia (Mg(OH)2).
Excessive use of a base like sodium bicarbonate causes severe problems.
Sodium bicarbonate contains a large amount of sodium. If you are on sodium restricted diet or have high blood pressure talk to your health care professional before taking sodium bicarbonate.
Excessive use of milk of magnesia causes diarrhea. Symptoms of
high magnesium levels, symptoms of dehydration, stomach/abdominal pain, bloody stools, rectal bleeding.
Chemical burns happen when exposed tissue comes into contact with a base. In most cases chemical burns are minor and only cause some skin irritation. Chemical burns must immediately be neutralized, then go to the doctor. A base can be neutralized with an acid and vice versa.
Ingestion of a base can cause the human body to change its pH level; if the body is not at normal pH level, the organs will not function properly which can result in organ failure and even death. Ingestion also causes immediate burns that are similar to skin contact in the mouth, throat, and stomach.
Strong solutions of acids and bases can cause respiratory distress and even organ failure. This can be exacerbated in those who have asthma.
Deep tissue damage can occur in addition to a chemical burn. It is important to get to the doctor after a chemical burn so they can tell you if there is such damage. Avoiding the doctor can result in extreme pain in infected muscle and muscle death.
A base such as pure ammonia can cause eye damage. This includes burning of the exposed tissue, and can cause burning of interior tissue that can result in permit blindness.
Answered by Hanisha Vyas | 30th Jun, 2014, 10:47: AM
- Name the compound used for softening hard water.
- what is the normal pH of water ?
- what is the importance of acid base indicators
- what is ph value
- what are olfactory indicators
- if 10ml of H2SO4is mixed with 10ml.of mg(OH)2 of the same concentration, what is the colour of the universal indicator
- What is ph of HCL
- 25 dgree celcius pr pure water ki pH valu 7 hai to 100 dgree celcius pr pure water ki pH valu kitni hogi?
- You have four solutions A,B,C and D. The pH of solution A is 6, B is 9, C is 12 and D is 7. Arrange the above four solutions in the increasing order of H+ ion concentration.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number