Describe the filtration tank used in the process of water purification in water works.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 27th May, 2016, 03:40: PM
During the process of water purification, water which comes to the filtration tank has impurities and suspended particles. Filtration tank which has three layers: fine sand layer at the top, a coarse sand layer in the middle and gravel at the bottom. In this process, the layers of sand and gravel act as filters. When water passes though these layers, even the smallest of suspended particles are removed.
- Water from a river or a lake is brought through canals or long pipes to the water work where it is mixed with required quantities of alum and soda lime solutions. The substances react with one another to form aluminium hydroxide, a jelly-like, sticky solid.
- It is then pumped into big settling tanks, where most of the suspended impurities settle down in two or three days.
- The clear water still containing some suspended matter is passed through successive filters of boulders, gravel, coarse sand and fine sand.
- The clear water from the filters is chlorinated and then passed to the reservoirs for distribution in the city.
Answered by | 27th May, 2016, 05:40: PM
- Which method we can apply to seperate water and mercury and why
- What are the different kinds of filters used by people in everyday household works?
- How is centrifugation done? Describe the process of separation by centrifugation.
- Name the gas which is added during purification of water. Why is it called a disinfectant?
- Explain sedimentation and decantation method.
- Explain the process by which we can separate cream from milk?
- Which method will you use to separate the following mixtures? (i) Sand and water (ii) Clay and water (iii) Cream and milk (iv) Used tea leaves and prepared tea
- What is the role of alum (Phitkari) in the process of water purification?
- List out the steps for folding of filter paper used for filtration. Describe the process of filtration.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number