Can we combine two prism? If yes what is the purpose?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 10th Jun, 2014, 02:28: PM
Yes we can combine two prisms of different materials.
We usually do it to:
A. Dispersion without deviation:Two prisms of different materials and different suitable angles can be combined so as to produce only dispersion and no deviation in the path of the light of a particular colour.
B. Deviation without dispersion:When white light passes through a prism, it suffers deviation as well as dispersion.However the two prisms of different material can be combined so as to produce deviation in the path of light without producing any dispersion.
Answered by | 10th Jun, 2014, 04:28: PM
- Show that the angle of deviation will be minimum when a light ray passes through a prism symmetrically.
- What is a prism?
- What is the difference in refraction through a prism and refraction through a glass slab?
- Calculate the deviation produced by a prism of angle 8 degree, for a material of refractive index 1.5.
- Define dispersion.
- What causes the phenomenon of dispersion?
- Calculate the angular dispersion produced by a prism of angle 6 degree, if the refractive indices of material of prism for blue and green colours are 1.664 and 1.655.
- Define dispersive power and derive its formula.
- State the factor on which the dispersive power of a prism depends?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number