A person, standing on the bank of a river, observes that the angle of elevation subtended by a tree on the opposite bank is 60o. When he moves 20 m away from the bank, he finds the angle to be 30o. Find the breadth of the river.
The horizontal distance between two towers is 140 m. The angle of elevation of the top of the first tower when seen from top of the second tower is 30o. If the height of the second tower is 60 m, find the height of the first tower.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 27th Jul, 2017, 11:02: AM
Let AB be the width of the river and BC be the tree of height h metres (say). Let D be the point 20 metres away from the bank of the river and let AB=x metres.
tan 60o = = h = x … (1)
tan 30o = … (2)
From (1) and (2),
3x = x + 20
x = 10
Thus, the breadth of the river is 10 metres.
Let the distance between the two towers AB and CD is 140m.
DE = CB = 140 m
Height of the second tower CD = 60 m
Let the height of first tower, AB, be h m.
CD = BE = 60 m
AE = (h - 60) m
= tan 30o
h - 60 = 140
h = 140 + 60
h= 80.83+60 = 140.83m
Thus, the height of the first tower is 140.83 m.
Answered by | 27th Jul, 2017, 01:02: PM
- On a warm and lazy Saturday, Rishi is watching a county maintenance crew mow the park across the street. He notices the mower takes 16 sec to pass through 60c of rotation from one end of the park to the other. If the corner of the park is 40 meter directly across the street from his house, (i) How wide is the park? (ii) How fast (in kmph) does the mower travel as it cuts the grass?
- The angle of elevation of the top of a tower from two points distant s and t from its foot are complementary. Prove that the height of the tower is √st.
- a person standing on the bank of a river observes that the angle subtented by a tree on the opposite bank of 60 degree. when he retreates 20m from the bank he find the angle to be 30 degree . find the height of the tree and the bradth of the river
- If two crows are sitting at a height of 15 m and 10 m on different trees vertically opposite to each other. They view a vaddi (an estable) on the ground at a angle of depression 45°and 60° respectively. They start at the same time and fly at the same speed along the shortest path to pick up the vadai.Which bird will succeed in it.?
- the angle of elevation of a cloud from a point h metre above a lake is theta. the angle of depression of its reflection in the lake is 45 degree. Find the height of the cloud
- a fire in the building Bis reported on telephone to two fire staitons P and Q, 20 km apart from each other on a straight road P observes that the fire is at an angle of 60 degree to the road and Q observes that it is at an angle of 45 degree to the road. What station should send its team and how much time will this team have to travel?
- from a point on the ground the angles of elevation of the bottom and top of a communication tower fixed on the top of a 20 meter high building a 45 degree and 60 degree respectivelyf.find the height of the tower.
- From the top of a building 60 d high, the angles of depression of the top and the bottom of a tower are observed to be 30°and 60° respectively. Find the height of the tower.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number