Why the brown ring in the test of HNO3 disappears when the test tube is disturbed
Asked by lovemaan5500 | 23rd Oct, 2017, 05:34: PM
When acidified ferrous sulphate solution is added to the solution containing nitrate ions in presence of H2SO4 brown ring is formed.
The brown ring is formed due to formation of complex sphere. In this complx Fe ion ocillates between +1 and +2 oxidation states.The acidified ferrous sulphate solution added dropwise at the walls of test tube to minimize the disturbance. Even a slight disturbance in the medium destroy the ring.
Answered by Varsha | 24th Oct, 2017, 11:16: AM
- Hot,concentrated nitric acid reacts with sulphur to form
- Explain why nitric acid is kept in a reagent bottle for a long time
- give reason-lead nitrate is not used in place of nitre for the preparation of nitric acid in the laboratory
- What does sulphur produce after reacting with concentrated nitric acid ?
- Can you explain the structure of HNO3 ?
- How does aqua regia dissolves Gold and Platinum?
- Sodium nitrate heated at 200 degree celsius in presence of sodium Bisulphate
- Why is quartz use in ostwalds process
- Name the unstable brown colored chemical compound formed during brown ring test for nitrates
- Why does alcohol or saw dust burst into flames when hot conc. HNO3 is poured on it?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number