What is meant by compensating error? Explain with an example.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 26th Jul, 2016, 01:33: PM
When two or more errors occur in such a way that the net effect of these errors on the debits and credits of respective accounts are nil, it is known as compensating errors.
For example, on2nd March, 2016, a sum of Rs.2,000 paid to Ashok was posted as Rs.200 to his account on the debit side and on 26th March, 2016, a sum of Rs.200 paid to Dipesh was posted as Rs.2,000 to his account on the debit side.
In the first transaction, Ashok’s a/c was undercast by Rs.1,800 on the debit side and in the second transaction Rs.1,800 on the debit side. Hence, the net effect of these transactions is zero.
Answered by | 26th Jul, 2016, 03:33: PM
- Explain briefly the errors of commission along with example.
- What is meant by errors of principle?
- What is meant by a two-sided error? Explain with an example.
- What is meant by a one-sided error? Explain with an example.
- Explain errors of omission with examples in detail.
- Name the errors which do not affect the trail balance with reasons.
- Name any two types of errors which affect the agreement of trial balance with examples.
- State the type of errors committed in the below transactions: Sale of old furniture worth Rs.5,000 credited to the sales account A payment of Rs.2,300 for salaries was posted twice to the salaries account Goods returned to Rakesh worth Rs.3,200 were not recorded in the books of accounts Wages paid Rs.6,150 were recorded in the cash book as Rs.6,510
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number