what are properties of materials
Asked by vish76bsnl | 10th Apr, 2020, 07:04: PM
Properties of Material:
Appearance: The appearance varies from one material to the other. Colour, texture, roughness and other parameters contribute to the appearance of materials. Materials with a shiny surface are called lustrous(Gold, silver, copper), whereas those which have a dull appearance are called non-lustrous(Paper, cardboard, chalk).
Hardness & softness: Materials which cannot be easily compressed, cut, bent (moulded) or scratched are called hard materials.Example: Iron, steel, wood, stoneetc.Materials which can be easily compressed, cut, bent (moulded) or scratched are called soft materials.Example: Sponge, cotton, wax etc.
Solubility: Materials which readily dissolve in water are called soluble materials.Example: Milk, copper sulphateetc.Materials which do not readily dissolve in water are called insoluble materials.Example: Flour, chalk powder, sand, oil etc.
Density: Substances which are heavier than water and have relative density more than '1' sink in water. Examples: Copper, soil, glass etc. Substances which are lighter than water and have relative density less than '1' float in water. Examples: Wood, ice, oil etc.
Opacity: Materials through which we can see clearly are called transparent materials. Examples: Glass, air etc.Materials through which we can see, but not clearly are translucent materials.Examples: Oiled paper, ground glass etc.Materials through which we cannot see at all are called opaque materials.Examples: Iron sheets, brick wall etc.
Answered by Ramandeep | 10th Apr, 2020, 08:24: PM
- why is lakshwadeep called a coral island
- On what basis do we classify objects ?
- why did the need for man made materials arise
- A student is blindfolded and given a set of things to classify. List two ways in which the student can classify them by touch.
- You are given a task to make an umbrella. List four materials you will require to make it.
- Look at the picture and write the names of the materials marked.
- In waste management project, garbage is spread on a conveyor belt. It separates things like nails, wires, screws, tin cans etc. Name the heading you will use to place all these objects in.
- Name the categories that you will place the following pictures in.
- How can you group objects?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number