What happens if :-
i) herbivores were removed from an ecosystem?
ii) carnivores were removed?
iii) producers were removed?
Asked by pksunilnair | 10th Jan, 2018, 02:39: PM
(i) Herbivores act as a food source for the carnivores. If the herbivores are removed from the ecosystem, there will be no food for carnivores which are dependent on herbivores for their survival. As a result, the population of carnivores will also start dwindling. This will lead to ecological instability.
(ii) The carnivores keep the populations of other carnivores and herbivores in check. If there were no carnivores, the herbivore populations would explode and they will rapidly consume large amounts of plants and fungi, growing until there is not enough food to sustain them. Eventually, the herbivores would starve, leaving only those plants that were distasteful or poisonous to them. Species diversity would, therefore, drop dramatically.
(iii) Producers provide for the entire ecosystem. They form the basis of the food pyramid and directly or indirectly support all the consumers of the ecosystem. If there were no producers in an ecosystem, there would be nothing for the consumers to eat nor anything for the decomposers to decompose. It would create a void at the beginning of the food chain, preventing it from functioning.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 10th Jan, 2018, 03:34: PM
- q/ write a sgort note ecology efficiency ?
- Which of the following Pyramids always shows a steeper vertical gradient i.e. UPWARD 1 PYRAMID OF NUMBER 2 PYRAMID OF NUTRIENTS 3 PYRAMID OF BBIOMASS 4 PYRAMID OF ENERGY
- What is correct for transducers : a.They convert solar energy into chemical energy b.They have first trophic level c.They are osmotrophs d.They show nutrient immobilization 1.b,c 2.a,b 3.c,d 4.a,d
- WHO PROPOSED THE Y-SSHAPED ENERGY FLOW MODEL ?
- Why is the pyramid of biomass inverted in a pond ecosystem?
- What is the role of plants, animals and bacteria in an ecosystem?
- A food chain has only a few trophic levels. Justify.
- What are starting points of a grazing food chain and a detritus food chain respectively?
- Why is a food web formed in nature?
- Why is the length of a food chain in an ecosystem generally limited to 3 to 4 trophic levels?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number