non-biodegradable chemicals can cause bio-degradable.what is biomagnification?
Asked by hels145 | 5th Aug, 2008, 04:10: PM
Biodegradation is the cumulative increase in the concentration of a persistent toxicant or pollutant in successively higher levels of the food chain. This happens because a toxic substance accumulated by an organism cannot be metabolised or excreted and is thus passed on to the next higher trophic level. This phenomenon has been seen in case of mercury and DDT.
Answered by | 5th Aug, 2008, 05:46: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number