DESCRIBE THE WORK DONE BY JOTIBA GOVINDRAO AND SAVITRI PHULE?
Asked by mehaksri2001 | 7th Oct, 2014, 09:52: PM
- Jyotirao Phule was a social reformer in western India. He belonged to the lower caste and hence realised the discriminations that are are faced by the people belonging to the lower strata of the society.
- He argued that Brahmins are foreigners and it is the lower caste people who are the indigenous people of the country.
- He worked for their upliftment. He founded the Stayashodhak Samaj which argued for caste equality.
- He opened number of schools for the lower caste children. He also opened schools for the girls.
- He criticised the miseries faced by upper caste women and widows.
- Savitri Phule was the wife of Jyotirao Phule and an Indian social reformer. She along with her husband played an important part in improving condition of women in the country.
- She particularly laid stress on the education of the women.
- She is also considered as the first women teacher in modern Maharashtra. she along with her husband opened around five schools in and around Pune in 1848.
- In 1851, she also opened a school specifically for the girls belonging to lower castes.
- Savitri Phule opposed caste system and child marriages. She advocated widow remarriages.
Answered by Social Science Expert | 8th Oct, 2014, 08:08: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number