a) India has more than 50000 different strains of rice and 1000 varieties of mangoes.
b) Western Ghats have a greater Amphibian diversity than the Eastern Ghats.
What do you infer from above 2 statements?
Asked by subratabanerjee686 | 19th Nov, 2015, 10:33: PM
This is due to the concept of genetic diversity and specific diversity.
Genetic diversity refers to the variety of genes within a species. Each species is made up of individuals that have their own particular genetic composition.For example, a particular variety of mango might be able to tolerate an increased load of natural calamities in their environment others, carrying different genes, might be destroyed.While the former will continue to persist in the environment the latter will either have to fall. This process is called natural selection and it leads to the loss of genetic diversity.
Species diversity is associated with the diversity of living organisms, meaning the abundance of different animal, plant and microbial species.For example, living in an ecosystem, the various strains (species) of rice found in India interacts with its environment and thus performs certain functions.As a result,several functions are not carried out and the species get extinct and is lost forever. So, we yield around 50000 strains of rice in India by over exploitation of crop fields.
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 20th Nov, 2015, 08:28: AM
- What is the difference between endemic and exotic species?
- Why is genetic variation important in the plant Rauwolfia vomitoria?
- Define biodiversity. Write three forms of biodiversity.
- Write the major causes of biodiversity losses.
- India has more than 50,000 strains of rice. Mention the level of biodiversity it represents.
- What does the term genetic diversity refer to? What is the significance of large genetic diversity in a population?
- Explain giving one example, how co-extinction is one of the causes of loss of biodiversity. List the three other causes also.
- Why are (i) alien species invasion and (ii) loss of habitat and fragmentation considered to be the major cause of loss of biodiversity? Explain with the help of one example each.
- What is the ecological importance of biodiversity?
- Give three hypotheses for explaining why tropics show great levels of species richness.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number