a convex lens of power 4D is placed at a distance of 40cm from the wall . at what distance from the lens should a candle be placed so that is's imsge is formed on the wall , solve and explain why we have not taken image distance negative in this ques. also explain when we take image distance positive or negative
Asked by Sanchit Sharma | 2nd Mar, 2015, 07:20: PM
Given that the power of the lens, P= 4D
Therefore the focal length of the lens, f = 1/ 4 =0.25 m = 25 cm
Given that the image distance, v = 40 cm
According to lens formula:
So the candle should be placed at a distance of 66.67 cm from the lens so as to form an image on the wall.
According to sign convention:
The distance measured from the optical centre to the left side are taken as negative, hence the object distance, u will be negative.
On the other hand the distance measured from optical centre of the lens to the right side are taken as positive.As the image is formed to the right side of the lens on the wall, the image distance,v is taken positive.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 3rd Mar, 2015, 11:06: AM
- A concave lens has focal length of 20 cm. At what distance from the lens a 5 cm tall object be placed so that it forms an image at 15 cm from the lens? Also calculate the size of the image formed.
- A concave lens has focal length of 30 cm. At what distance should the object be placed from the lens so that it forms an image at 20 cm from the lens ? Also, find the magnification produced by the lens.
- solve x + y + z + u = 120 , 2x + y + 4 z+ 3y = 29 , 3x + 2y +z + 4u= 27, 4x + 3y +z +2u = 22. find x,y .z. u
- Tell concave lens convex lens sign convention
- An object placed in front of the convex lens at a distance of 25cm on the principal axis. The focal length of lens is 15cm, at what distance the image is formed and writes the nature and size of the image.
- A concave lens has focal length of 20 cm. At what distance from the lens a 5 cm tall object be placed so that it forms an image at 15 cm from the lens ? Also calculate the size of the image formed.
- I don't know how to take focal length, image distance and object distance positive or negative in lenses and mirrors?
- what is magnification producer?
- I WANT TO UNDERSTAND LENS FORMULAE
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number