NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Civics Chapter 1 - On Equality
Updated NCERT Textbook Solutions Coming Soon!
Chapter 1 - On Equality Exercise 15
Universal adult franchise is important because of the following reasons:
- It is based on the idea of equality.
- It means that all the adult citizens, i.e. those who are 18 years and above, have the right to vote irrespective of their socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Universal adult franchise is an important aspect of democracy.
- Democracy is a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
- It makes the government more accountable towards the people.
Article 15 of the Indian Constitution prohibits discrimination on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth. The two ways are
- The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
- No citizen shall, on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them, be subject to any disability, liability, restriction or condition with regard to
a. Access to shops, public restaurants, hotels and places of public entertainment; or
b. The use of wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads and places of public recreation maintained wholly or partly out of State funds or dedicated to the use of the general public.
Omprakash Valmiki's experience was similar to the Ansaris in the following manner:
- The dignity of both the persons was violated.
- Both of them had to suffer unequal treatment because they belonged to a different caste and religion.
- Both of them were not given an equal opportunity.
Thus, both the incidents show that though the law enforces equality, still inequalities exist in our society.
The term "all persons are equal before the law" means that all people are equal. In other words, every citizen is entitled to constitutional rights and freedom irrespective of their class, caste, creed, socioeconomic status or gender.
The term is an important part in a democracy because it is the essence of it. It ensures that the government will take care of the needs of all the people. Also, it is necessary so as to safeguard the true nature of a democratic country.
No, the Act is not being followed here. Also, it is a violation of the Act as the disabled person is not able to access the public place.
- To make the building more accessible, wheelchair ramps should have been constructed.
- Being carried down the stairs is unsafe because he might slip and fall from his wheelchair. Also, any unbalance on the part of others could create problems for him.
- Moreover, it affects his dignity because every now and then he has to depend on others for his movement.
Thus, this kind of help makes him aware of his disability.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number