NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English Chapter 5 - A Different Kind of School
Chapter 5 - A Different Kind of School 62
1. The writer visited Miss Beam's school because he had heard a great deal about it.
2. The 'game' that every child in the school had to play was that each term every child had one blind day, one lame day, one deaf day, one injured day and one dumb day. This was done to make the children appreciate and understand misfortune by making them share in the misfortune of others.
3. "Each term every child has one blind day, one lame day, one deaf day, one injured day and one dumb day." The dumb day was the hardest. This was because the children's mouths could not be bandaged, so they really had to exercise their will power to remain silent. But the bandaged girl said that being blind was very frightening. Since you can’t see anything you feel like you are going to be hit by something every moment. Her head ached all the time just from worrying that she would get hurt.
4. The purpose of these special days was to teach the children thoughtfulness - kindness to others, and how to be responsible citizens. To make the children appreciate and understand misfortune, they were made to share in the misfortune of others too. On the blind day for instance their eyes were bandaged and they promised on their honour not to peep. The bandage was put over night so they awoke blind and needed help with everything. Other children were given the responsibility of helping them and leading them about. In this way both the blind and the helpers learnt a lot.
Chapter 5 - A Different Kind of School 63
2. Miss Beam was everything I had thought her to be - in the middle years of her life and authoritative.
3. I walked towards a window from which one could see a garden of a large size.
4. "It is not possible to put bandages on children’s mouths so an exercise of will power is required on their part."
Chapter 5 - A Different Kind of School 64
i) A word that has the same meaning as ghastly is terrible.
Terrible; causing fear
Terrible: very bad
(ii) a part of the school year; a term
(iii) examination: test
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number